Morels: A danger or a pleasure?
The morels, morchelas o morels, are one of the mushroom varieties most appreciated by mushroom hunters, as well as by gourmets, where they appreciate from its beautiful reticulated external appearance (as with cells), to its fine and elegant flavor, but intense at the same time.
With the morels, these little gnome houses, there are countless recipes that can be made, but without a doubt one of the most spectacular, is the one that combines this sauteed mushroom, stuffed with vegetables and accompanied by a duck foie sauce cool.
Everything seems to paint well for these mushrooms ... the appearance, the taste, a real pleasure. But ... why the title of this article ...? What dangers can such a prized mushroom have for those who do not know how to handle it?
Morels eaten raw have long been known to be toxic; To prevent this toxicity, they have been cooked, eliminating the generated water, and then they have been cooked again for human consumption, but now it is also known that although they are cooked at a high temperature and the residual water is eliminated, sometimes they are also can become toxic, sometimes causing the so-called cerebellar syndrome which basically consists of:
Hypotonia, ataxia or incoordination of voluntary movements
Disturbance of balance and gait
Muscle weakness and fatigue
What is the reason for this toxicity... The answer's in the TLH:
Thermolabile hemolysins, proteins that break the cell membranes of erythrocytes, leukocytes and platelets, and that are altered or decomposed by the action of heat, and the drying of the mushroom.
How to eliminate this toxicity and make the consumption of morels completely safe?
With completely dried morels there has never been a toxoinfection
So: you always have to dry the morels!!, and for total safety, drying and cooking must be combined; If the morels are fresh, they must first be completely dried in a cool and dry place, then to use them, they must be rehydrated, discarding the used water and then cooking to taste (sautéed, cooked, in a rice bowl….)
Information extracted from various sources.
Links of interest: